I have lived in the United States for over 3 years now – and love almost everything about being here… EXCEPT the bread! I have a wheat intolerance to begin with (no white bread for me!) but the amount of preservatives and sweeteners and other junk that is added to bread over here completely puts my body over the edge.
I am a breadivore (yes, I just coined that term!). I would eat bread for every meal if I could, so cutting it out of my diet was a no-no. Instead, I turned to the recipe for bread that my mom has baked since I was a little girl. It’s simple, requires few ingredients and you can whip it together in 5 minutes. It’s also really healthy! Oh, and because it’s yeast free, it tends to be better for keeping my tummy flat too!
What You’ll Need:
2 cups of wholemeal flour (or 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup of wholemeal)
1.5 cups of buttermilk (you can also use an individual sized carton of plain yogurt if you don’t have buttermilk on hand)
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tbsp of honey
A pinch of salt
(optional) oats to sprinkle on the top
(optional) 1 tbsp ground flax seed for an extra health boost!
1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Transfer the batter to a greased loaf tin.
3. (Optional) Sprinkle the oatmeal on top. Using a skewer or toothpick, prick holes three holes down the center of the bread to help it rise evenly…OR run a knife down the center of the bread, making sure to go deep enough to almost touch the bottom of the tin.
4. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes. Reduce to 350 F and bake for another 25 minutes or until golden brown.
5. If you tap the bread and it sounds hollow, you know it’s cooked.
Wrap the bread in a clean tea-towel and let cool (don’t skip this step, it helps make the crust crunchy and not soggy).
That’s it! Spread some butter and raspberry jam on a slice for a yummy breakfast!
I hope you’ll give this bread a shot! If you’re not used to really savory bread it might seem a bit bland at first, but with some butter or jam I promise it’s really amazing!