It’s snowing here in Boston, yet again. Apparently it’s never ending this winter. I’m curled up on the couch writing this post (obviously!) and procrastinating over the massive pile of math tests that need to be graded. It’s that time of the month for me (sorry boys!) and I’m majorly craving something chocolatey and sinful. To add to my cravings, I’m trying to decide what type of cupcakes I should bake for my friend’s bridal shower this weekend.
If like me you love chocolate, then these are the cupcakes for you. I’ve tried a million different recipes and merged the best parts of all of them to create these utterly indulgent, rich chocolate cupcakes. They are simple to make and turn out fabulous every single time.
Hosting a birthday party or helping out at a bridal shower or baby shower? Guests will never forget these! Perhaps you’re looking for a Valentines treat to spoil that special someone? Yup, I’ve got you covered with these!
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (64g) unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (80g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 and 3/4 cup (330g) confectioners' sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (90g) unsalted butter (room temp.)
- 6 Tablespoons (95ml) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (60g) semi-sweet chocolate chips/chunks for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/175 C. Line a cupcake tin. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a double boiler on the stove. This may be accomplished by putting a Pyrex bowl over a pot of simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Stir until smooth. Set aside to slightly cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until combined.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the cooled butter/chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Add half of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk, alternating until everything has been incorporated. Stir until just combined; do not over mix.
- Divide the batter into the cupcake liners. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Sift together the confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder to assure there are no lumps.
- With a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until fluffy (approx. 2 mins.) Gradually add the sifted sugar/cocoa powder alternating with the heavy cream and vanilla. Beat on low speed after each addition.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and top with chocolate chunks as desired. Then enjoy!